Tuesday, December 05, 2006


Episode 7: Not Quite Gone With The Wind

This one took a long time. The ‘Meredith House’ story was written using a different font when the novel was published; this gave it a ‘not of this text’ look. But how was I going to do that with the podcast?

I felt that the most important thing was to find a different piece of music to intro-outro the text. In this episode, we start with Meredith House, but in later episodes (there will be another two visits to Leanne’s world) we’ll possibly arrive mid-episode and so a whole new segue would be needed. Something romantic beyond the stuff my mates have thus far contributed; something full of desire and mystery. Now where would I find that? I thought about trying to sweet-talk a busker on Grafton Street in Dublin - you see the occasional harp-player or violinist plucking their catgut. But it was all too vague, too conditional. Instead, I went to the Podsafe Music Network at Podshow.net. I searched under ‘romantic’ and I got Jim Richmond’s piece first time. I immediately knew I had what I was looking for. But surely there must be a fee for this usage? I checked with Podshow, and no. Just acknowledge the artist and the site. Artists like Jim want to share their work with the world; and podcasters – who have the same motivations – are able to help them achieve that. It’s symbiotic, innit? As Glen might say.

Thanks again to Jim and to Podshow. And to any podcasters who find themselves in a similar dilemma – you now know where to go.

Also, I’ve put a ‘guestbook’ on my homepage http://www.oneamongthesleepless.com . So you can go there, leave a comment about the podcast, and leave. You don’t need to sign up to Blogger or anything, just leave a message. So what are you waiting for? Go now.

No comments: