Thursday, November 30, 2006

Episode 6

This is a Brighton bus in action. It is, as you can see, a red and cream bus. This is the same type, though perhaps not the same colour, as the bus that Peter and Dusty go riding on in episode 6. This one is actually on the Western Road, which is part of Peter's bus route in episodes 3 and 6.

I used to ride Brighton busses almost every day when I was writing One Among The Sleepless. I even wrote a lot of the book's plot and dialogue in notebooks while I was doing so. I remember taking photos of the interiors of the single and double deckers, noting down the details of how people behaved and generally used busses.
Obviously what happens in the novel with Peter and Dusty is totally fiction. But you do see some characters on busses. I actually saw the character that Dusty's appearance is based on from the window of a bus much like the one in the picture. I was sitting, just as Peter is in episode 3; head bumping on the glass and staring gormlessly out of the window. When suddenly, on North Street, I saw this big tramp with fuzzy hair and shades sitting at a bus stop. The guy came with me from that bus stop - but unlike Peter, when I say he came with me, I mean in my notebook - I wrote him down for future use. As for Peter, well, I guess he was the future use.
Spot Brighton
Palmeira Square is the stop where Peter's stop. Dusty checks out the view of Hove Lawns and the open sea. The houses are converted Georgians. We are indeed in the Brunswick region of Hove.

No comments: