Thursday, May 24, 2007


Episode 29: The Hardest So Far.

For many reasons, this has been the hardest episode to produce so far. In terms of writing, the original text had to be revised quite a lot; not only was I not happy with some of the original writing, but now that I have 'become' these people in a very real sense, I feel a much stronger connection with how they do and don't behave. The end result, I think, is stronger than the original. The original text is now looking more and more like a kind of prototype One Among the Sleepless, a kind of, white label version or an unedited proof.

On top of the re-edits, it's taken a long time to produce in terms of mic-hours. I don't want to bore you with the details, but if a blog is about the day to day stuff that makes up one's life, then outside of work - this is my life. Sad, isn't it? Oh well, not for much longer, eh? This probably took about 20 hours all told. Maybe you think I exaggerate? Ask my wife, she has to put up with it. She'd probably tell you it feels like longer.

When this is over, I'm sooooo going on holiday.

Oh, by the way, the picture that accompanies this posting is another from the original 'sunglasses' book cover shoot that Peter Pavement and I did in Brighton back in 2002. I might put a few more of these up online for you to have a look it. Maybe Flckr or something?

3 comments:

JBadger the silly ratel said...

Really liked #29. Listened on the train after work yesterday.

Just a little bit more about the person who now is Adam (who will be someone else soon I guess).

MiguelD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MiguelD said...

Google tripped me up on the first try at a comment but anyway...

Your writing - at least in this work - is rich. Full of twists and turns, laughter and pain, it keeps moving down some unseen hill towards the end.

Great reading this week. Thanks so much. I wait for each episode never expecting what it holds.