Wednesday, May 16, 2007


Episode 28.2: Autumn Leaves
In a perfect world, Bert Kaempfert would be listening to One Among the Sleepless and he'd email me telling me how thrilled he was to know that I wanted to use his version of Autumn Leaves on Episode 28.2. He'd not only give me his full permission to use it, but he'd tell all his friends about the podcast as well and get them on board. Sadly, Bert is no longer with us, and even if he were, he probably wouldn't have heard of One Among the Sleepless, let alone be up to date with it.
Fortunately though, I have heard of him, and Bert's version of Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mort) has found its way - albeit silently - onto Episode 28.2. Copyright law prevents me from using even a snatch of the track, which is a great shame because it is - to me at least - an integral part of the episode. Still, if they ever make a movie out of this book, hopefully the film company will have no problem wrangling the rights to the song.

Episode 28.2 has taken by far the longest amount of time to put together of any episode so far. The voices - the accents and vocal mannerisms etc have taken me ages to get right. It turns out I was right to post Episode 28.1 last week, as not only would the episode have been gigantic, but it would've been very late also.

The Black Pig, like Shenanigans and The Coach and Horses doesn't exist in Brighton or anywhere else. All these places are like Frankenpubs - the stitched together bits and pieces of both reality and imagination. I mean, if there were a real Shenanigans for example, I'd be in court right now trying to plead ignorance, stupidity or mental illness.

As for my own taste in pubs, I'm a trad-pub man. I think I've always preferred places where people go to drink beer, get themselves a nice comfortable seat and have a good conversation with friends.

My friends have always told me - all my pub going life - that I have the pub tastes of a little old man. I don't think I'm like an old man, I just like to be able to get served quickly, pay a reasonable price for a nice pint, sit down in a comfy seat and be able to hear the person I'm talking to without the aid of an ear trumpet. Does that make me old?

It does?

Oh.

(sighs)

Oh, well.

Speaking of movie versions of One Among the Sleepless, if you have any thoughts on who should play whom, I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas. Mine shall, of course, remain a secret - I don't want to spoil your own mental images of the characters.

No comments: