Tuesday, June 12, 2007


Episode 32 - Update

When I started this project, Tuesday night was Upload Night. Then, as time and deadlines moved on, Tuesdays increasingly became Excuses on the Blog Night and Wednesday became Upload Night. Sometimes Thursday had the honour of being Upload Morning.
So, tonight must be Excuses on the Blog Night, right? Right.

This week, as some of you may be aware, has been my week of moving house and all associated hassles. It’s also been my week of learning that I now have limited Internet access as our new flat is partially at basement level and, therefore, out of wireless broadband range. Consequently, all bets are off as to when Episode 32 is going to find its upload slot.

So, what’s been happening in my world since #31? Well, Thursday was moving day and a right nightmare it was too. We managed to get a van to take our stuff from one place to the other, but the lift (elevator)in our old building – the bastard - decided to break down on us, and so I had to lug our boxes, TV etc. down the stairwell. Oh, the muscle building that I endured. We went to bed early on Thursday, knackered, but thrilled by the fact that for the first time in 14 months, we were sleeping without the aid of ear plugs. Temple Bar (where we were) was convenient for our jobs, the city and all that it holds... but it’s a seriously noisy neighbourhood.

Saturday and Sunday were spent organising our stuff (still not finished doing that). Sunday afternoon was spent editing and re-writing the text of Episode 32. I could have just read what I wrote back in 2002 – the original text – but there were things I wanted to change, and so change them I did.

Then on Monday I recorded half of the episode only to realise that I didn’t like my changes and I needed to re-re-write them. This process has continued into today, and now, I’ve finally finished my first version of Episode 32.

So is it finished? Oh no: now I have to edit it for fluffs and gaffes and listen back to it and realise, yet again, that something doesn’t quite sit right with me and so I’ll do it again, and again and again until I like it.

Then I’ll record the intro / outro (and re-record it a few times too, no doubt), and then, finally, I’ll try to upload it – only to learn that my limited broadband access is making the upload impossible, and so I’ll need to bring the laptop into work and use their wi-fi connection.

By this reckoning, it’ll probably be Friday by the time I get the episode posted.

This is – I hasten to add – a worst case scenario. I want to post it ASAP, so keep an eye on your podcatchers, or whatever, for the buzzing download progress meter that brings my little bundle of goodness into your life.

Alternatively, you could just send a blank email (or even better, write something in it) to my mailing list. That way I’ll send you an email as soon as #32 goes live. Here’s the link, click it: Add Me to The Mike Bennett Mailing List

That way, even after One Among the Sleepless ends, you’ll still get updates from me about The Bonus Track which, post OAtS, will feature my short story collection, and also updates on my second podcast novel – which I just know you’re gonna love.

No comments: