Thursday, July 05, 2007


Compare and Contrast... Sex, Death and Noisy ?

Hello Mateys,
I'm just taking a break from the re-writing of my 2001 short story, 'The Grave', which I'll be podcasting as part of The Bonus Track #2, to drop a brain teaser into the blog.

A listener in Australia (who I shan't name in case she'd prefer me not to) has come to me with a puzzler, I quote:

"I have to compare a book (which will obviously be One Among The Sleepless ...with either another book, or a movie, for English (class). It's just a simple essay, nothing too serious. I get to form the question the essay revolves around, and would like do make it something to do with the variety of characters - there's the psychotic one, the jock and his cronies, the sex symbol, the two nice ones who get together in the end, etc - or the way their lives all intertwine. I've done a lot of research, and haven't been able to come up with another book or movie with a similar 'character structure' - if you will - to that of your book. I was wondering if maybe you had any ideas?"

And the truth is, listeners, I don't have any idea. Call me Mr Not-Widely-Read or Mr Not-Movie-Hip, but I just can't. And I don't want my chum down in Aus to be put off doing some class-A work on my novel just because I'm too much of a cultural dunce to help. So I though I'd ask you lot. Does anyone have any ideas that might be of use? You can send them to me via email, or just slap them in the comments on this blog entry.

Many thanks.

Oh, and that Bonus Track shouldn't be too long now. Though saying that, I'm going away for the weekend and I'm working overtime and (fill in your additional excuse here ______________ ).

And another thing, looks like that spell out in Spain may well be on again for the writing of novel #2. Hot dog, it's all go!

1 comment:

Cactusnic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.