Monday, March 19, 2007


Episode 22: Ladies' Night


Hello. It’s a public holiday here in Dublin for St Patrick’s weekend and I’m sitting here, surrounded by shop alarms that nobody’s going to be turning off for 24 hours, police sirens, and the sound of pouring rain: so if any of that should filter into the background on the final recording, file under ‘Act of God’: I have to do the recording today or I’ll be late – and we don’t want that do we?
So, Episode 22: another one that I’ve been dreading - this time because I’m faced with the terrible dilemma of having to do two women talking to each other. Why a terrible dilemma? Because I can only do one female voice – and that doesn’t sound particularly feminine at the best of times. Damn, if only I could take my nuts off and leave them in a jar of warm water for an hour or so - I’d be laughing. Hmmm, actually, I probably wouldn’t now that I come to imagine it.
There are two pubs mentioned in Episode 22, both of which are based not on real pubs in Brighton, but in Slough (The Moon and Stars – based on The Moon and Spoon) and Windsor (The Coach and Horses – based on The Two Brewers) respectively. So if you’re in Brighton, don’t go looking for them, because they aren’t there.
The Two Brewers is a pub which I used to frequent at the age that Lucy and Sally are talking about. I went back there about five years ago and it was as described in the episode – changed; all different. And that, as they say, is life.

No comments: