Friday, February 02, 2007


The Old Trout on MySpace

I used to work in a music venue in the Nineties called The Old Trout. It was by the River Thames in Windsor and used to be a very popular stop on what was called (and doubtless still is called) the U.K. 'toilet circuit'. Meaning small venues with basic facilities that bands on the way up all play in as part of their rites of passage to megadom. Among the bands that played there were Oasis, Blur, Supergrass, Suede and hundreds more.

After a lot of bother with the brewery that owned it, the Trout shut in 1995. About six or seven years ago, I built a fairly basic website that chronicled the history of the Old Trout from 1988 to its closure in 1995. The site always lacked a key ingredient, and that was a place where visitors (especially bands and former punters) could sign in, leave messages, updates on their lives etc. I forgot all about the site until recently, when (while adding phoney friends to my MySpace site like 'cheddar cheese' and 'Marmite')it occoured to me that MySpace could provide just that facility for the Old Trout. So I added a new MySpace for The Old Trout. You can check it out here: http://www.myspace.com/old_trout_windsor
My original Trout site can be viewed here: The Old Trout, Windsor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Been a lot of years and water under the bridge... nice to see the memory of the old trout kept alive my you mike.... Mark, from the kiosk

Unknown said...

Cool! Thanks Mike. I miss this place like a right arm! I'm looking to start a new venue asap. Keeping Music Live!